What to wear apple picking

Last year I wrote a post about our apple picking trip. For some reason, this post has become one of my most popular because of the search term “what to wear apple picking.” Apparently, a lot of people are googling for orchard outfit inspiration. Who knew? Since this was such a big hit (ok, not a big hit, just surprising) I knew this year’s follow up had to be totally awesome!

Ok, I’m not sure I’d qualify this outfit as totally awesome, but definitely apple picking appropriate. We went to the same place as last year (Thompson’s in New Gloucester, ME) because they have apples (duh) and more importantly, cider donuts. YUM.

A smorgasbord of pumpkin and cider donuts. Ross insisted we get one of every kind. I obliged.

Of course this photo was in no way staged (lie).

After picking our way through the orchard we came home with about 12 pounds of apples. One may say that is too many apples for two people,  but I have a lot of cooking to do! Apple butter, apple crisp, sandwiches – just to name a few.

Skinny jeans: Madewell
Green leather jacket: L.L.Bean Signature
Orange cardigan: thrifted J. Crew
Gray tank: J. Crew
Oxfords: Jeffrey Campbell
Turquoise necklace: vintage (via SWAPmaine)
Sunnies: 80′s Purple

What is your favorite recipe for apples? I have a lot to use – I need ideas!

About these ads

About sweetersalt

Salt = sodium = bad. Sweet = calories = bad. Well, isn't that just a bleak outlook. I firmly believe that without salt and without sweet we all just live in a world of lettuce. Plain lettuce. Fun? No. This blog is about life. Namely, my life. But, not that specific. I myself am simply not that interesting. I live an ordinary life, work an ordinary job and do ordinary things. But... life is all about experiencing that feeling you get when you really, really like something. If you don't feel a little warm in your heart when you walk into a farmer's market or try on a piece of beautiful clothing that fits you perfectly (that just so happens to be a great deal!) then you should probably keep on a' movin' from my little plot of internet. Sweeter salt is my metaphor for the good things in life, sprinkled over everything in moderation. Banana? Kinda boring. Banana smoothie - yum! White tank top? Yawn. Statement necklace layered over said tank - now we're talking! I live in Portland, Maine. I love cooking, eating out, riding my bike and approachable fashion. This blog does not chronicle my every waking moment. This is because you will probably not be entertained by the 10th day in a row that I eat the exact same salad for lunch. It does chronicle a healthy, active, fun-filled, colorful lifestyle, in Portland and beyond. It also covers dogs. Cute ones mostly.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to What to wear apple picking

1. Lisa says:

I WANT THOSE DONUTS!!! yum!!!! i havent been apple picking in years, but am determined to go this fall!

2. Shelly says:

I’m working through a 1/2 bushel of apples myself (from a farm in Skowehegan). My favorite recipes so far are: gypsy pheasant (made with a cornish game hen since I haven’t had access to a whole pheasant):

and apple turnovers (with homemade apple sauce) courtesy of simply recipes:

Here’s the apple sauce recipe- mine is good but a little tart. I’d use less lemon juice but more lemon zest in the future.

I think I’m going to try to dehydrate apples in my oven next b/c I’m having visions of fall couscous with dried apples and almonds inside an acorn squash. :)

3. Shelly says:

whoops, didn’t attach the apple sauce recipe! Here it is! http://www.erinsfoodfiles.com/2009/08/crockpot-applesauce.html

4. TheDealer says:

I also went to Thompson’s this weekend and brought home 12 pounds of apples (!) The donut line was over an hour long, but the cinnamon/sugar was so worth it. I saw at least 4 women wearing almost the exact same outfit, so I could only assume this year’s apple picking outfit was dark skinny jeans, long sleeved flannel top, and high brown boots. Apple crisp and swedish apple pie are on the to-do list this weekend.

5. Audrey says:

Yes! Apple picking outfits are so important!

6. you had me at pumpkin and cider donuts…Where do I find these and how fast can I get them??? YUMMMM

7. ELle sees says:

We have one apple orchard place in GA…and they wont let you pick! Of course, I I had to break the rules :)
    Adorable and now I’m craving apples and donuts.

8. Jessie says:

I have lived in Maine my whole life, and my family is in the greenhouse business and I have never went apple picking! I need to work on this!

XX
    Jessie

9. Clare says:

OHMIGOSH, doughnuts! Joe and I are going apple picking tomorrow, and I’m planning on skipping breakfast so I can eat my weight in apple cider doughnuts. :)